I’m First, an initiative of national nonprofit Center for Student Opportunity (CSO), is a campaign and online community for first-generation college students and their supporters across the country.
We’re collecting YouTube video stories from first-generation college students and graduates to inspire and offer advice to the next generation of students who will be first. The site also features a college search, Q&A forum, student blog and others tools and resources to help aspiring first-generation college students, and those who advise them, on the road to and through college.
Become a Campus Ambassador
We’re looking for motivated and passionate first-generation college students, faculty, and staff to rally support and participation in the I’m First project and strengthen the first-gen community on your campus.
Campus Ambassadors are charged with spreading the word about I’m First to first-gens on your campus and to aspiring first-gens in your community. As an Campus Ambassador, you will bring the creativity, energy and drive of your fellow first-gen students, faculty and staff to the I’m First community and work with us to maximize our collective impact.
The Campus Ambassadors program is a pilot, so you’ll also have a key hand in shaping the program.
On your campus:
- Create a YouTube video sharing your first-gen story and upload to www.imfirst.org/stories
- Share your video with other first-generation college students on campus
- Enlist at least 5 other first-gen students and/or staff on your campus to create and share their stories at imfirst.org
- Execute at least one public event, exhibit, campaign, etc., with guidance from I’m First, to raise awareness about imfirst.org and record video stories for upload to the website
- Start a Facebook page and/or Twitter account for your campus’s I’m First cohort, encourage your first-gen peers to “like” the page, and post links to imfirst.org, videos and other first-gen related content.
In your community:
- Give presentations about imfirst.org at local schools, youth-serving organizations, and campus-sponsored pre-college programs and have aspiring first-generation college students and staff sign up.
- Volunteer with your fellow first-gens at a local school, youth-serving organization, or campus-sponsored pre-college program to help aspiring first-gens in their pursuit of college.
With I’m First:
- Participate in scheduled training sessions and check-ins
- Share ideas and best practices with other Campus Ambassadors and I’m First staff
- First in your family to attend college
- At least a college sophomore
- Highly motivated and organized
- Excellent communications and problem solving skills
- Commitment to education equality and social justice
- Takes initiative and achieves results
- Demonstrated achievement in academics and extracurricular activities
- Experience leading teams a plus
- Event planning experience a plus
Hours are flexible upon student’s schedule and dependent on the student’s ability to accomplish the goals stated above. We estimate Campus Ambassadors give 5-10 hours per month.
This is a volunteer position. Campus Ambassadors build professional skills in project management, leadership, communications, and community organizing. You’ll gain first-hand experience working for an exciting organization with a startup environment that shares your passion for college access and success for first-generation college students. And it looks good on your résumé! If your campus allows for exploratory internship credit, we are glad to help accommodate this.
Apply or Nominate
If you are a student interested in applying to become a Campus Ambassador, please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com. Faculty and staff can nominate a student by sending the student’s name, contact information, and a brief recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty and staff who want to be a Campus Ambassador can also submit their qualifications and interest to email@example.com.